Udzungwa National Park
Udzungwa National Park is a Paradise for hikers and travelers alike, it is the largest and with most biodiversity and a chain of a dozen large forest-swathed mountains that rise wonderfully from the flat coastal scrub of eastern Tanzania. Known collectively as the Eastern Arc Mountains which is believed to be formed around approximately 200 million years ago, this archipelago of remote-chains has also been named as the African Galapagos for its treasure-trove of endemic plants and animals, most familiarly being the delicate African violet.
Brooding and primeval, the forests of Udzungwa seem positively enchanted: a verdant refuge of sunshine-dappled glades enclosed by 30-metre (100 foot) high trees, their protections layered with fungi, lichens, mosses and ferns.
Udzungwa national park in Tanzania covering up an area of 1,990 Km2, forests range from 250m to 2,576m and with numerous forest trails, offering different kinds of activities, from great view of prairies, shakes, streams fall, and an astonishing mountains scene as among the ancient ranges of the Eastern Arc.
Home to 2,500 plant species and for more than 400 bird species, and more than 6 species of primates, 2 rarest species of primates red colobus and Sanje crested mangabey spotted on the park
The trail allows the travelers access to the stunning 170 m waterfall and offers swimming in the waterfall as part of the activity. The park is bordered by the Great Ruaha River to the north, Mikumi National Park and Selous Game Reserve located further to the north and east.
WHAT TO DO
- Mountain Climbing (trekking)
- Birding Safari, Walking and culture safari
- Camping Safari, Biking Safari, Home stay Safari
- The Park is easier accessible by road from Dar es Salaam, Dodoma, Iringa, Mikumi town and Morogoro.
- The flight option is also available from Dar es Salaam Airport or Zanzibar fly to Mikumi National Park, and then transfer to Udzungwa
BEST TIME TO VISIT
- Possible all year round although slippery during rainy seasons. The dry season is June-October before the short rains however be prepared for rain anytime.
- The Park offer limits number of lodges and camps, and only camping inside the park
- With only two modest but comfortable lodges with en-suite rooms within 1km of the park entrance